- 1 cup / 250 mL apple cider
- 1 tablespoon / 15 mL cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon / 15 mL baking powder
- 1 cup / 250 mL all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup / 125 mL sugar
- 1 tablespoon / 15 mL cinnamon
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable oil
- 6 apple rings, 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick,
cores removed (about 2 med. apples)
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cider, cornstarch, and baking powder.
Stir in enough of the flour to form a stiff batter.
- In another bowl, stir together the sugar and cinnamon.
- In a high-sided pan, heat the oil until it reaches 365 degrees F / 185 degrees C. Dip the apple rings in the batter and drop them carefully into the oil.
- Fry in batches if necessary.
- Turn the fritters so they brown on all sides. (The fritters may also be fried in a countertop deep-fryer, following the manufacturer's instructions.)
- When the fritters are golden brown, remove them with a slotted spoon and drain them on paper towels. Toss the fritters in the sugar mixture and serve immediately.