- 1 lb. Lean Ground Beef
- 1 small Onion (chopped fine)
- 1 small Celery Stalk (chopped fine)
- 4 small Mushrooms (chopped fine)
- 1/2 small Green Pepper (chopped fine)
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder (or - 3 cloves chopped very fine)
- 1/4 tsp. Red Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 3/4 tsp. Crushed Chiles
- 1/2 tsp. Oregano
- 1/2 tsp. Sweet Basil
- 1/8 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 10 oz. Stewed Tomatoes (284 ml)
- 1 7 oz. Tomato Paste (200 ml)
- 3 cups Tomato Juice
- - - Butter or Olive Oil for frying
- Brown the beef, drain well, and put into a stock pot.
- Sautee lightly in butter or olive oil, each seperately, the onion, celery, green pepper and mushrooms. Add each to the beef.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and HALF the tomato juice.
- Mix all the spices well, then add to the pot.
- Cook at a slow boil, stirring frequently, for about 1 hour.
- Add the remaining juice ONLY enough to maintain the desired thickness as it simmers for about 1 more hour, checking and stirring it occasionally.
- Remove from the heat, cover, and let stand overnight.
- Bring to a boil, and remove from the heat. Serve it or put in into containers for freezing.